By Ronnie Ancona
This can be the 1st e-book aimed in particular at preserving lecturers brand new on fresh advancements in Latin scholarship. Edited via Ronnie Ancona, a classics student with services in pedagogy, it positive factors contributions via verified specialists on all of the 5 Latin authors. every one essay combines theoretical fabric with Latin passages in order that teachers can see how essentially to use those how you can particular texts.
Read or Download A Concise Guide to Teaching Latin Literature (Oklahoma Series in Classical Culture) PDF
Best medieval books
Starting approximately 1200 CE, the Mali, Songhay, and Ghana empires unfold their sequential effect around the western horn of Africa. This identify discusses the very important function salt and different ordinary assets performed within the improvement of the empires, the wealthy and various cultures, and the impact of the Islamic Empire on on a daily basis existence.
THE LEGEND OF THE HIGHLAND protect keeps. . . . Handpicked by way of Robert the Bruce to aid him in his quest to unfastened Scotland from English rule, the elite warriors of the Highland defend face their darkest days. whilst Bruce is pressured to escape, his bid for freedom rests at the shoulders of 1 impressive warrior.
Throughout the Roman transition from Republic to Empire within the first century B. C. E. , the poet Horace stumbled on his personal public luck within the period of Emperor Augustus at odds along with his wish for larger independence. In Horace among Freedom and Slavery, Stephanie McCarter bargains new insights into Horace’s advanced presentation of freedom within the first e-book of his Epistles and connects it to his such a lot enduring and celebrated ethical exhortation, the golden suggest.
- Representing Non-Western Music in Nineteenth-Century Britain (Eastman Studies in Music)
- Thucydides and Political Order: Concepts of Order and the History of the Peloponnesian War
- Cicero's Philosophy of History
- Discovering the Riches of the Word: Religious Reading in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe
- Medieval Saints' Lives: The Gift, Kinship and Community in Old French Hagiography (Gallica)
- Homeric Durability - Telling Time in the Iliad
Additional info for A Concise Guide to Teaching Latin Literature (Oklahoma Series in Classical Culture)
To put it another way, what exactly have we gained with Ovid’s restoration, and why is it worth having? Some of the ways in which Ovid has been read—and, I think, misread—in the recent past have had a profound effect on how we approach him. ” After all, we are, among other things, teachers of reading; and as we work with our students through a Latin text, we have the opportunity to show them not just what to read but also how and why to read. My goal in my classes is always, first and foremost, to teach my students how to ask useful questions about their reading; and Ovid’s poetry proves to be fertile ground for this sort of work, rich as it is in humor, ambivalence, and multiple meanings.
3. A good short introduction to modern theory is Culler 1997. Chapter 8 provides a useful account of new thinking on subjectivity. 18 William Fitzgerald 4. The theory of “levels of intent” was first advanced by Quinn 1959, 27–43, which remains a classic of Catullan interpretation. 5. All translations are my own. 6. On “the novel of Catullus” in modern scholarship, see Fitzgerald 1995, 26–29, and for modern novels on Catullus, 211–35. 7. Janan 1994, 66–76. 8. Poems 15, 16, 21, 23, 24, and 26 suggest that Furius and Aurelius were enemies and that this opening is ironic.
Quo postquam geminam tauri iuvenisque figuram clausit et Actaeo bis pastum sanguine monstrum tertia sors annis domuit repetita novenis, utque ope virginea nullis iterata priorum ianua difficilis filo est inventa relecto, protinus Aegides rapta Minoide Dian vela dedit comitemque suam crudelis in illo litore destituit. desertae et multa querenti amplexus et opem Liber tulit, utque perenni sidere clara foret, sumptam de fronte coronam immisit caelo; tenues volat illa per auras dumque volat gemmae nitidos vertuntur in ignes consistuntque loco, specie remanente coronae, qui medius Nixique genu est Anguemque tenentis.
A Concise Guide to Teaching Latin Literature (Oklahoma Series in Classical Culture) by Ronnie Ancona